Monday, May 9, 2011

NIRVANA !



Nirvana biography

Nirvana was an American rock band that was formed by singer/guitarist Kurt Cobain and bassist Krist Novoselic in Aberdeen, Washington in 1987. Nirvana went through a succession of drummers, the longest-lasting being Dave Grohl, who joined the band in 1990.


With the lead single "Smells Like Teen Spirit" from the band's second album Nevermind (1991), Nirvana entered into the mainstream, bringing along with it a subgenre of alternative rock called grunge. Other Seattle grunge bands such as Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, and Soundgarden and also the San Diego based band Stone Temple Pilots had also gained popularity, and as a result, alternative rock in general became a dominant genre on radio and music television in the United States during the early-to-mid-1990s. As Nirvana's frontman, Kurt Cobain found himself referred to in the media as the "spokesman of a generation," with Nirvana the "flagship band" of Generation X. Cobain was uncomfortable with the attention and placed his focus on the band's music, believing the band's message and artistic vision to have been misinterpreted by the public, challenging the band's audience with its third studio album In Utero (1993).


Nirvana's brief run ended with Cobain's death in April 1994, but the band's popularity continued in the years that followed. In 2002, "You Know You're Right," an unfinished demo from the band's final recording session, topped radio playlists around the world. Since their debut, the band has sold over twenty-five million albums in the US alone, and over fifty million worldwide.

more here if you wanna :) http://www.lyricsfreak.com/n/nirvana/biography.html

41 comments:

  1. I love smells like teen spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found it funny how you told us that Nirvana was an american rock band! Great biography though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favourite bands of all time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. With the alnbum "Nevermind" they deserve to be in hall of fame

    ReplyDelete
  5. So good. One of my (and many people's) all time favorite bands.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love nirvana, definatly one of my favorites :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read somewhere that Smells like teen spirit was so overplayed that Nirvana declined to play it live anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reminds me of my childhood, great song, great song, too bad kurt cobain killed himself

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the seattle grunge era :) Good write-up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gotta love Kurt's raw and powerful vocals! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely awesome band, my favorite is still smells like teen spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Some of their music holds up but i still think they were overrated.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i've been listening to nirvana a lot recently..

    ReplyDelete
  14. The man who sold the world. nanananana...:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good old Nirvana and my love-hate relationship with them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Old but gold, i'll follow you

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh the awesome memories... Great band, great post.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Grunge..one of my FAVORIT SONG...I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM THAN LOVE FOR WHO I AM NOT,..(KURT COBAIN)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Not a huge fan of them to be honest.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great band, shame about what happend to Kurt.

    ReplyDelete
  21. These guys are grunge legends!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nirvana marked a generation, too bad i wasn't part of it :(

    ReplyDelete
  23. Honestly. I only liked two or three of Nirvana's songs. I think their slightly over rated.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Good melody kept them relevant.

    ReplyDelete
  25. i never could get behind nirvana =\

    ReplyDelete
  26. They came out right about the time I went into the Marines. Brings back loads of memories.

    ReplyDelete
  27. W H Y .... D I D .... H E .... H A V E .... T O .... K I L L .... H I M S E L F ? ? ? :( s a d .... days.

    ReplyDelete